For the debut of my 52 Cupcake Project I chose a Tangerine and Cream cupcake.
I would say it was reminiscent of a Creamsicle, but the flavors are much to bright and tangy.
It is a tangerine cake flavored only with the juice and zest of the tangerine, sandwiched between layers of vanilla frosting drizzled with a tangerine glaze. I was on the fence about whether to add orange extract and I am so glad I didn’t. The natural flavor the juice and zest give the cake are perfect and there is no hint of an artificial flavor.
Ready for the recipe:
1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 c. sugar
4 large eggs
2 ¾ c. flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
¾ c. buttermilk
1/3 c. juice from tangerine
½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste (vanilla extract if you don’t have paste)
Zest of 2 tangerines
1. Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds.
2. Add sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beat for 30 seconds between each.
4. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
5. Add about a third of the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and beat to combine. Add about half of the buttermilk and beat to combine. Continue adding, alternating between dry and wet and finishing with dry.
6. Add the tangerine juice, vanilla bean paste, and tangerine zest, beat to combine.
7. Bake in an 11×17 jelly roll pan approximately 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Cool cake for 10 minutes before turning out onto counter on parchment paper to cool.
9. Once cool, use the jar to cut circles in the cake to make the cupcake layers. The number of jars you will get will depend upon the size of jars you are using and how many layers you put in them.
1 can Ready Made Vanilla Frosting
1 stick butter, softened
2 c. powdered sugar
2 TBS karo syrup
2 TBS milk
1. Place frosting and butter in mixer and beat to combine.
2. Add karo syrup and beat to combine.
3. Mix in powdered sugar.
4. Add milk and beat on medium-high until light and fluffy.
Juice of 1-2 tangerines
Zest of 1 tangerine
2 TBS powdered sugar
Mix ingredients to combine and sugar dissolves. Juice should be slightly thickened, but should not lose its color and should not become a glaze.
***Layer the cake, frosting, and drizzle until you hearts content – or the jar is full!!!