My family moved for my husband’s job just about a year ago and a year before that and….you get the picture. However, we are finally in a place we get to call home for a long time (crossing my fingers). My husband rented a house for us while I was finishing up my job in our old town. The first time I saw the house, we were moving in. I’ve joked with my husband since we first started dating that I will have tile in my whole house because I hate…hate…hate carpet with animals! I don’t like stained carpet…YUCK! So I walk into this new home of ours and guess what? It is wall-to-wall carpeting – yes I have carpet in my bathrooms!@!@?#?! Who does that? Not only is it everywhere, but my entire upstairs is WHITE carpet. Have I mentioned I have 3 dogs and a husband and a child who despite their many wonderful attributes are still slobs!? Did I mention that I hate cleaning?! I am pathetic I know…I need a maid.
Fast forward to December and even though I swore I would not buy a house with wall-to-wall carpeting we did just that. The advantage of not having to move for the 5th time in 2 years was just too much for me. I couldn’t fight the carpet battle. Did I mention well-aged people lived here prior to us? There is all kinds of lovely wallpaper, cream-colored appliances and a hideous faux brick fireplace. The size is amazing though and the price was right.
With all that being said I decided I needed to prioritize what I want to do with our new home!
Here is my list:
- Laminate Flooring Upstairs – with 3 dogs this a better option than hardwood for durability purposes
- Hang sheet rock in place of paneling/remodel faux brick fireplace – this would not normally be #2, and probably will go to #1 just so the floors can go in!
- Tile the kitchen
- New Dishwasher – I have a 13-yr old one, but she never gets the dishes clean and neither does the actual appliance in my kitchen!
- Sew curtains for the bay window
- Paint the spare bedroom and decorate in shades of Black/White with pops of color
- Complete my sewing room
- Remodel bathrooms
- Paint my kitchen
- Remodel dining room to include taking down wallpaper and finding dining chairs to go with the antique dining table my parents want to give me.
So if I completed one of those each year it would only take me 10 years to get the upstairs of my house the way I kinda want it. Some of those won’t take that long so I’m hoping I will be able to do it in less than that, but time, money and workforce are all required for my plan to come together. I will keep you all posted on my progress.
Happy List Making!!